Mr. Spafford is a Partner in the Global Aviation and Aerospace Group at Oliver Wyman. With over 15 years of consulting experience he focuses exclusively in the Aerospace and aviation aftermarket sectors specializing in restructuring, strategy development, investment support/guidance, and operational transformation. Mr. Spafford's client base spans major aircraft, engine, and parts OEMs as well as major MROs, leading global carriers, and investment firms focused in the aviation aftermarket sector. Relevant projects include:
- For a global MRO supported the restructuring of the company, including the closure of two primary faciliites
- For a North American Airline supported the disaster recovery post their primary MRO moving into bankruptcy
- For two major North American airlines led their operational and outsourced bankruptcy restructuring efforts
- For a major diversified MRO specializing in BGA, regional and military engines completed a comprehensive growth strategy and 5 year business plan creation
- Led the MRO spin-off efforts for a major North American airline, developing the P&L for NewCo and the service level agreement between NewCo and the carrier. Led all due diligence response efforts related to the pending sale
- For a major component OEM developed a market entry strategy in to a tangential business, including a complete market scan, identification of potential business model options, assessment of strategic fit with the company, and formal due diligence of two targets.
- For a major global MRO developed their 10 year growth strategy, including acquistion and partnership targets, capability development requirements, geographic expansion targets, and major customer and platform pursuits. Project resulted in full board approval of the strategy that provided over $1/5 B in committed capital over a 5 year period.
- For a major aircraft OEM developed their aftermarket strategy including the restructuring of significant facets of the business
- For a major aircraft OEM developed their aftermarket component support strategy, business model design and set-up, organizational transformation to support the resulting business, and support of initial customer pursuits
- For a major engine OEM led the strategy development of its alternative parts and repair retaliation strategy
- For a major North American aircraft maintenance, repair, and overhaul provider, performed acquistion support for a $750 M deal, including strategic identification of candidates, due diligence of short-listed candidiates, and negotiation support.
Prior to joining Oliver Wyman, Mr. Spafford was a Senior Manager at Manitoba Hydro where he led several operational improvement efforts, and also spent 4 years as a Partner at nGage electronic commerce, a leading Canadian provider of online transaction services. Mr. Spafford holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree, a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Degree from Queens University, and an MBA from the University of Toronto.